Home>>News Update>>Fayemi commends developmental approach of World Bank-assisted community projects (PHOTO)
News Update

Fayemi commends developmental approach of World Bank-assisted community projects (PHOTO)

Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State has commended the developmental approach of the World Bank-assisted Community and Social Development Project (CSDP) in all the participating states.

Fayemi, who is also the Chairman, Nigeria Governors Forum, made the commendation at a ceremony marking the end of the CSDP, which lasted from 2009 to 2021, on Tuesday in Abuja.

He said that the projects had impacted positively on rural communities in all states that it was implemented, adding that the project had no doubt triggered development at the hard-to-reach communities.

He said that CSDP had an impressive record of 17,000 micro projects implemented in 5,850 communities, adding that the projects responded to the most pressing needs of the people in terms of water, health, rural electrification, road, housing among others.

The governor said the project had touched over 25 million Nigerians in the 29 participating states and the Federal Capital Terriory, adding that CSDP had been a huge success in the country.

“The huge success of CSDP programme can be attributed to its adoption of the community-driven development approach and the deployment of an array of well-trained officials across the country.

“It is therefore commendable that its development approach has become a major pillar of in the development agenda of the Federal Government, which now serves as an effective formula for bringing socioeconomic development to the poor and the vulnerable communities.”

Earlier, Alhaji Bashir Alkali, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, explained that CSDP was one of the projects supervised by the ministry under the National Safety Nets Coordinating Office (NASSCO.

Alkali, who said that the project had been in existence since 2009, added that it had touched, in a spectacular way the lives of poor and vulnerable people across the 29 participating states and the FCT.

“The Federal Government under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari is the first in the history of Nigeria to give social protection a rare boost through the implementation of NASSCO.

“The CSDP is one of the key projects driving this agenda of President Buhari under the Social Safety Nets set of programmes.

“In the 11 years of its existence, the project has assembled and built high level human capacity at the Federal and State levels on the design and implementation of the Community-Driven Development approach.”

Alkali said that the structures created by the CSDP across the country would be deployed by the respective states for collective fight against poverty and under development among the rural poor.

“While closing the CSDP, I want to use this opportunity to drum support for the vision of President Buhari to lift 100 million Nigerians out of poverty over the next 10 years.

“This is a clearly communicated vision which all ministries, departments and agencies across the various levels of government must adopt and drive,” Alkali said.

It was  reported that the highpoint of the event was the presentation of awards to some of the participating states for implementing projects that have positive impact on the benefiting communities.

The CSDP, is one of the developmental projects in the country’s World Bank portfolios, using a Community-Driven Approach as communities are the drivers of their project needs.

The CSDP provided 90 per cent of the funds for projects, solely initiated by poor communities and they contributed the rest 10 per cent in cash and kind.

The objective of the project is to improve the access of the poor to social and economic infrastructure, while increasing the availability and management of development resources at community level.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *